THE PURPOSE, REALITY, AND CERTAINTY OF SALVATION
Scripture Reading: I Peter 1:1-12.
Memory Verse: “Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.” (I Peter 1:5)
Many sermons and articles have been presented on salvation. Few can match the doxology presented to the elect by Peter.
Peter rejoiced because salvation was his personally, and for all eternity. As we tip-toe through these first twelve verses we can’t help but sense the glory of the Lord.
This panoramic view of salvation is ours to study and experience. The proper perspective we receive will be helpful as we experience trials; and, yes, maybe even a time of “suffering and persecution.”
“When thou art fain to trace a map of thine own heart, An undiscovered land set down the largest part.”
-Richard Chenvix Trench
- To whom was this letter written? I Peter 1:1.
- What is the purpose and function of a salutation? I Peter 1:2. What other significant thoughts are in this verse? Matthew 24:31; Romans 1:20.
- How is salvation explained? I Peter 1:3. What is the definition of the word “lively?”
- Describe the certainty of our salvation. I Peter 1:4-5; Numbers 23:19. What is meant by the word “kept?”
- What is the purpose for our salvation in times of temptations and trials? I Peter 1:6-7; II Corinthians 4:17-18.
- What is our salvation to be based upon? I Peter 1:8; John 3:3; 20:29. What does the phrase, “Joy unspeakable and full of glory, “mean to you?
- Define the meaning of “end of your faith.” I Peter 1:9. [Please consult a Phillips or NIV translation.]
- Whom did God use to present salvation to us? How? I Peter 1:10; Romans 16:25-26.
- Did the prophets always understand the fullness of their message? I Peter 1:11; Daniel 12:8-9. Do we? I Corinthians 13:12; 5:7.
- Discuss the angels’ understanding of the reality, purpose, and certainty of salvation. I Peter 1:12.
EXTRA-MILE QUESTION: Salvation was given to man but withheld from others. What will be our relationship with the angels? Hebrews 1 [whole chapter].