Memory Verse: “So Christ was once oﬀered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation” (Hebrews 9:28).
INTRODUCTION: “The second coming of Christ is as certain as God’s Word is true. He who acknowledges the authority and accuracy of the Bible must recognize the fact of Christ’s return to earth. The second coming of Christ is a definite event that will occur in the future. Future events predicted by human philosophers are based upon speculation and are open to question. Future events described by prophets of God and recorded in the Bible are certain to occur. God’s infinite wisdom and power guarantee that His promised blessings will be bestowed and that His predictions concerning the future will come to pass…”
“Bible prophecies concerning Christ’s first coming and second coming are linked together. During His earthly ministry, prophecies concerning His first coming were fulfilled in minute detail. During His new earthly ministry in the future, therefore, we are assured that prophecies concerning His second coming will be literally fulfilled. At His first coming, Jesus was the suﬀering Sacrifice; at His second coming, He will be the reigning Sovereign. At His first coming, He was the Lamb of God Who was crucified on the cross; at His second coming, He will be the Lion of Judah reigning on His throne. The reality of Christ’s future return to earth is definite and sure.”
“The second coming of Christ is the open door to God’s Tomorrow. The fulfillment of almost every Bible promise concerning the future of man and the earth is dependent upon this glorious event. Apart from the second coming of Christ, the Church would not be completed, the dead would not be raised, the Kingdom would not be established, the wicked would not be judged, and there would be no peace upon earth.
Wonderful blessings resulting from Christ’s future rulership will become realities only because of the fact of His return to earth. The second coming of Christ, therefore, will mark the end of man’s today and the beginning of God’s Tomorrow…”
“The hope of Christ’s return is an important motive for Christian living. Expecting the Bridegroom’s return, the believer seeks to be ‘all glorious within’ and to be arrayed in garments of righteousness. Devout Christians so order their conduct that they would not be ashamed if He should appear at any moment” (Ibid. p. 482, 483).
- What promise was given to the disciples regarding Christ’s return? Acts 1:10-11.
- Will His return be personal and physical? 1 Thessalonians 4:16; 1 John 3:1-2.
- Will His return.be a quiet, secret aﬀair? Revelation 1:7; Matthew 24:23-27; 1 Thessalonians 4:16.
- What will be His destination when He returns? Zechariah 14:4.
- How will His return aﬀect the wicked? Revelation 6:15-17.
- What warning is given in Mark 13:32-37? Need we be taken by surprise? 1 Thessalonians 5:1-6.
- What is Christ’s return called? Titus 2:13. Why is this a glorious hope? Philippians 3:20-21; 1 Thessalonians 1:10.
- What should this hope cause us to do? 2 Peter 3:10-11; 1 John 3:1-3.
- In what ways has the assurance of Jesus’ return purified your life?