Scripture Text: Proverbs 4:20-24
Memory Verse: “Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripe ye were healed.” 1 Peter 2:24
Lesson Aim: To inform us that God has made provision for believers to walk in divine health.
Divine health (that state of being in which one is not always seeking healing, but rather is enjoying health free from illness and successfully countering the attacks of the enemy) is God’s provision for the entire body of Christ. Through the redemption purchased by Jesus the Messiah on Calvary, God has made provision for every believer to walk in divine health.
It has never been God’s will for His people to be bound and oppressed with sickness and disease. He told the children of Israel that they could have supernatural freedom from illness if they would walk uprightly before Him (Deuteronomy 7:14-15). God has extended the same promise and provision toward us in the New Covenant, basing it securely in our blood-bought redemption.
Every Christian has the covenant right to live out his life on this earth free from sickness and disease. Although this does not mean we will never die (death is the last enemy to be conquered by Christ (1 Corinthians 15:25-26), it does mean that we can live free from sickness while in this mortal body.
Unfortunately, so many Christians suffer today at the hands of disease, not availing themselves of the divine health that rightfully belongs to them. But that doesn’t change the reality of what He has done. Salvation and forgiveness have been purchased for all men and are offered to all. Yet many, whether through ignorance or unbelief or rebellion, do not receive the forgiveness which is so freely offered to them. The same is true of healing.
God’s desire is that His people walk free from illness. He purchased our healing on the cross and gave us numerous ways in which we can receive that healing. If we will walk uprightly before him, and not allow any hindrances to healing in our lives, then we can walk in the perfect health which has been made available to us.
In order to live in divine health, there are certain things which the believer must do. No one will ever receive anything from the Lord without exercising some degree of diligence. Laziness is not the way to receive from the Lord. There are certain natural laws which cannot be ignored if one is to remain in divine health. God will not bless ignorance or condone stupidity. But if a believer will obey the Word of God and fulfill the criteria which the Word lays out, then he can expect to be able to live in divine health, successfully thwarting the attempts of the enemy to place sickness on him.
Interact with God’s Word:
- What is “divine health?” What is God’s prescription for maintaining a life of divine health? Proverbs 4:20-24; Exodus 15:26
- What does it take to walk in divine health? Ephesians 1:18-20; Romans 10:17; 12:2; James 3:10-12
- If an individual abuses their body through neglect and overwork, all the while believing for divine health, are they really standing on God’s Word? Why or Why not? Discuss.
- What provisions has God made for every believer to walk in divine health? Isaiah 53:5; 1 Peter 2:24; Psalm 103:3, 5
- How are we instructed to properly care for our bodies? Are you robbing God of glory by not taking care of your temple? 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; Romans 12:1; Leviticus 11:2-9, 44